Garden, Plant, Cook!

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Another "Grand" Garden Experiment

Dear Folks,

I can never resist trying something in my desert garden.  I have frequent success, so that always encourages me to "push the envelope" as they say and try something that should not work here.

This "grand" experiment is really grand, as in potentially huge.  Can you guess what is in the picture?  I will explain below.

Meanwhile, I am really excited.  My Dwarf Mulberry Nigra's have fruit!  Yay!.  It was a bit of challenge getting a picture because of the light color and lighting.

The trees are tall now probably 7+ feet.

Ready to go in the ground August 2, 2015
I purchased two 4 inch plants from Baker Creek in the Spring of 2015 and put the small trees in the ground around August 2, 2015 and watched them grow lanky then fuller and fuller.  I had hoped for fruit last year, but apparently they needed another year and the trees leafed out and are lush this spring, with FRUIT!

Every winter we have a TON of nasturtiums, which I completely encourage.  They fill every nook and cranny in and among the trees adding color and pest deterrent qualities.

I thought I would do a little collage of color for you.  I love the variegated leaves and encourage these types as much as possible.

Okay so now for the big reveal on the opening picture. If you guessed California Redwood you would be correct!

Here is the story.  My sister and I took a trip early last fall to California and included a visit to one of the redwood forests and I could not resist purchasing a baby redwood tree.  They sell them in a "tube" to keep them moist.  I got it home and potted it up and it was doing okay and then the top started to brown.  My guy said several weeks ago "It's dead".  And I said, nope the trunk is still green.  Then took a good look last week and saw the new buds.

What I was counting on is the Redwood is a colony plant, growing not just from seeds but from clonal spread of roots underground.   This fascinating aspect produces identical offspring. While the buds shown on the picture above are not part of the colony aspect, I had hoped that plant survival mechanism would help the tree adjust.

The poor thing looks awful I know, but it is still alive and producing buds on the side of the trunk.

It remains to be seen if it can make it through the summer.  I plan on moving the tree, still in the pot, to a location where it will get morning sun and afternoon shade from other trees.

Reminder:

The Grow Your Own Food Workshop has begun.

Get in on the free videos and discount opportunity to purchase the complete program.

Have a great day in the garden!


-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, please share and subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: