Garden, Plant, Cook!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Extracting Sugarcane Juice.

Dear Folks,

Many of you know I grow two varieties of sugarcane.  Somewhat of a novelty, I started, just because I could, and because there is a history of growing sugarcane in the Valley.

eBundle Sale Ends Sunday, January 22nd - don't miss out on a great library of books and more.

Topics covered in the eBundle include:  cooking, gardening, DIY, simple living, natural remedies, natural parenting, and more.  I am also offering a bonus if you purchase the eBundle of my Herb Inspired Victorian Meal with Recipes.  Save your invoice number and email me.

The traditional method of extracting the sugarcane juice requires a very heavy duty roller looking a lot like an old fashioned ringer on a washing machine.

[Pictured - cutting the cane, stacked in the trailer ready to deliver to the zoo for the elephants and some grapefruit as an extra treat for them - and just a few young plants left to continue the cycle.]

Last year someone posted on one of the groups on facebook about doing a reduction with chunked up sugarcane and water.

Yesterday we harvested most of our sugarcane to take to the zoo for the elephants.  I saved out one of our purple variety to do the reduction experiment using a crockpot.  I boiled for about 6 hours, strained and then further reduced down on the stove.

I like the results - the taste came out quite sweet, with a "corn tea" flavor.  I will use this liquid when I make tea and am thinking about making a refrigerator jam using this liquid instead of sugar and water.  If I get around to that before I run out of juice and try the jam I will let you know how it turns out.

Next time I will try a slightly different way of cutting the chunks of sugarcane to expose more of the inner fiber, hopefully making it even sweeter.

. . .

Don't miss the opportunity to own a library of PDF ebooks and more on Back To Basics Living.  $29.97 for 96% discount from the retail value of over $800.



-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: